Charlotte Johnston is a trial attorney at Knight Nicastro MacKay's Boulder office. Ms. Johnston primarily practices in the area of transportation law. Specifically, she handles railroad cases related to the Federal Employer's Liability Act, the Safety Appliance Act, the Locomotive Inspection Act, and other regulatory laws. She also advises and represents clients involved in auto accident cases, including trucking cases involving Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. She also works on matters related to insurance coverage, employment law, toxic tort, landlord tenant disputes, and family law.
Charlotte graduated from The George Washington University with a Bachelor of Arts in international affairs and a concentration in conflict resolution in just two years. During her time in Washington, D.C., Charlotte was a legislative intern in the U.S. House of Representatives and was highly committed to philanthropy, volunteering with Martha's Table and Peer Health Exchange. She then went on to law school at Saint Louis University where she was selected as a member of the prestigious Theodore McMillian American Inn of Court and was on the dean's list. During her time in law school, Charlotte was a legal research and writing teaching assistant, served on the board of the Student Bar Association as a senator, and worked with the American Red Cross to organize school-wide blood drives.
Prior to joining the team at Knight Nicastro MacKay, Charlotte clerked in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri for Judge Stephen R. Bough. After that, she primarily worked in insurance defense, successfully defending numerous truck drivers and trucking companies in wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits. She also worked in criminal defense specializing in mitigation and second chairing felony trials.
When she is not practicing law, Charlotte enjoys hiking, cooking, volunteering and spending time with her family.
- Transportation Defense
- Insurance Defense
- Insurance Coverage
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- Honors: Member, Theodore McMillian American Inn of Court
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: Legal research and writing teaching assistant to Professor Christine Rollins
- Honors: American Red Cross Blood Drive Committee
- Honors: Student Bar Association Senator
- Honors: Phi Alpha Delta
- Honors: Criminal Defense Clinic with Susan McGraugh
- George Washington University
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Residence Hall Association
- Honors: Phi Alpha Delta
- Major: International Affairs
- Major: Conflict Resolution
- House of Representatives, Legislative Intern for Congressman Frank Pallone
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, Law Clerk for Judge Stephen R. Bough, Clerk
- Matteuzzi & Brooker, P.C., Attorney
Classes & Seminars
- Martha’s Table
- Peer Health Exchange
- The American Red Cross
- Johnson County Youth Court
Fraternities or Sororities
Certified Legal Specialties
Current Employment Positions