James E. Roberts
Mr. Roberts returns to private practice after ten years as Senior General Attorney for BNSF Railway Company headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas. He also served as General Director, Claims, responsible for the investigation, management and resolution of casualty events. His primary charge was oversight of BNSF’s Casualty Litigation (including FELA, grade crossing and third-party claims) on BNSF’s system. During his tenure the Law/Claims leadership team oversaw hundreds of jury trials.
Prior to joining BNSF, Mr. Roberts practiced law for twelve years in Montana with the Brown Law Firm, P.C. and Hedger, Friend & Roberts, LLC. in Billings. His practice focused on civil litigation, primarily railroad litigation and insurance defense. He has extensive jury trial experience and is competent in handling high stakes litigation.
Mr. Roberts received his undergraduate degree from Montana State University and his law degree from the University of Montana. He is a twenty-two-year member of the Montana State Bar Association.
He has served as the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel’s (NARTC) Regional Vice President, is a member of NARTC’s Executive Committee, and is a member of the faculty of the NARTC Trial College.
He is an avid fly fisherman and enjoys camping, film and spending time with his daughters.
- Civil Litigation
- University of Montana School of Law, Missoula, Montana
- Montana State University
- Montana State Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court District of Montana
- Brown Law Firm, P.C.
- Hedger, Friend & Roberts, LLC
- BNSF Railway Company, Senior General Attorney
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel’s (NARTC), Regional Vice President
Classes & Seminars
Fraternities or Sororities
Certified Legal Specialties
- NARTC’s Executive Committee
- NARTC Trial College, Member
- Montana State Bar Association, Member
Current Employment Positions
- Member Owner